How to get a cheap trailer

pillowmeto

How to get a cheap trailer

Post by pillowmeto »

I came across a rather unusual method of acquiring a inexpensive or free trailer last weekend. My friend was trying to find out how to get rid of an old pop up trailer, no junkyards, donation places, or classified ads could get rid of it so he was going to take it to the dump and pay $250 to throw it away.

I noticed it has a full steel frame, low to the ground, and all of the accessories on it. Turns out it is about 6' wide (about 5' btwn the wheels, wider than a fv) and 8 or so ft long. The steel frame fully supports a 1/2" outdoor plywood floor, there are braces every 18" or so. So we smashed the trailer with some hammers and crow bars and separated the aluminium from the rest. The dump freely accepted a truck full of old cushions, plywood, and insulation, and the 200-300 pounds of aluminium will be worth good money in scrap. All the trailer needs is some ramps and new lights and she is ready to go. It is rated for 3000lbs gross, and bare, I figure it weighs only a few hundred with the plywood floor left intact.

I figure there have to be a ton of old pop up campers sitting around that no one wants, and most of the ones that I see for sale are dirt cheap.
snookwheel

Re: How to get a cheap trailer

Post by snookwheel »

I love ideas like that!! You are correct about the aluminum salvage value. I had an old aluminum boat trailer that I was wondering just how I could get rid of. I told my kid he should call around and find out what the metal recyclers were giving for aluminum..... he did, I saw the sawzall get fired up, and now the trailer is gone, and he is happy as can be! :lol: