tranny spider gear

lee

tranny spider gear

Post by lee »

I've got a question concerning a broken tooth on a spider gear. I've got a long box that I was going to use for Daytona this weekend. Since this is a new tranny (to me) I thought I'd drain whatever was in it and fill it. Finding a broken tooth on the front drain plug I've looked up thru the drain and can see the tooth came off the spider gear closest to the engine.

Is this terminal? Can it be run? I'm afraid of the answer but thought I would ask.

Lee
FV80
Site Admin

Re: tranny spider gear

Post by FV80 »

Lee,
I'm certainly no trannie expert - however, I'd guess that if it has run before for you without problems, then it probably will again. I WOULD remove the broken tooth from the magnet tho' :-).

It seems odd that the spider would develop a broken tooth. I'd more expect it to DEMOLISH *all* (or most) of the teeth if anything happened. Sounds to me more like a 'strange' failure that may have happened years ago. If it spins OK and sounds OK and SEEMS OK in all other aspects, I wouldn't worry too much about running it. However, I would put it on the list to fix at the first opportunity.
Good luck with *YOUR* decision (it's not in MY car, you know <G>).
Also - not sure if you pass through Atlanta on your way, but if you want to drop by, I can loan you a long box to carry as a spare ... just in case (so you don't WASTE the trip if it does fail. There would be no rush to get it back to me.
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

Early last year we discovered a tooth from a spider gear on the magnetic plug in the trans of the Solo Vee. I have no idea when it broke. It could have been when the previous owner had it. Anyway we ran the entire 2007 season with it that way. Somewhere around 15 to 20 days with two drivers in the car. It ran perfectly. No noise, no vibrations, no indications of any problem. And we do drag race style launches with this car. It will be rebuilt this winter, though.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
lee

Post by lee »

Thanks folks. I know the call is mine but this gives me a little better feeling about pushing forward and trying to use it. If it sounds ok on the road this evening then I'm going racing. I'll post a follow up so the next person might have some more to go on if confronted with the same call.

Thanks Steve. It's probably too far out of the way but I appreciate the offer. Considering the track rules about having to vacate the track at the end of the day, I'm not sure if doing a swap on a Lynx could be done.

Lee
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

lee wrote:...Considering the track rules about having to vacate the track at the end of the day, I'm not sure if doing a swap on a Lynx could be done.

Lee
You could always take the car back outside overnight :-).
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
lee

Post by lee »

About 2miles worth of test runs up and down my street were a success. I've had about enough of turning wrenches this week.

Daytona here we come!!! (and the 33 SRFs that we'll be grouped with)
brian

Post by brian »

The spider gears are basically stationary when the car is going straight. Unless the rear wheels are traveling at different rates, as in a turn, they don't turn either. Try driving the car in tight circles and if it's quiet, run it.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
lee

Post by lee »

Good news, bad news.
Good news is that the tranny seemed to work fine.
Bad news is that it only got used one session as the engine locked up. Long trip for no racing.

Thanks for all the advice.
Lee
caracal76

Post by caracal76 »

Dude, I'm sorry to hear that!!!

A spider gear is a relatively quick fix, for any others who might have this issue. It doesn't require pulling more than the tube flange and axle. You will, however want a big-a$$ snap ring tool for the one holding the axle in. Its also a good thing to check for cracks if you have a shunt involving a rear wheel.
Anthony (actually the Caracal 17-red)

"When you're racing it's...it's life. Anything that happens before or after - it's just waiting."
-Steve McQueen, "LeMans"

"Screw second!"
-Burt Reynolds, "Stroker Ace"
lee

Post by lee »

Shunt involving a rear wheel??? Have you had such a thing happen?
:P
brian

Post by brian »

The side gear may be changed from the outside, but spider gears will require removal of the diff and pressing the spider gear pin out of the housing. Not a major deal but will require removal of the left side plate, right drum, bearing housing and pulling all the right side out of the left side of tranny. Some frame rails will not permit this type of dissassembly. Make sure there's enough room to get the diff out. I can not think of any modern subframe car whee's there enough room..
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.