Lime Rock Regional 6/20/2009 (update 6/27)

CitationFV21

Lime Rock Regional 6/20/2009 (update 6/27)

Post by CitationFV21 »

Some notes on the School's Out Regional at Lime Rock June 20, 2009

1. Congratulations to Dan Grace Jr on his win. You could say he won from the pole, but he spun on lap 1 coming out of the esses and dropped to the back of the pack, then charged though to the win.

2. Andy Pastore finished 2nd with a smart run - could he be going for the NARRC Championship that eluded his brother?

3. Chris Zarzycki finished 3rd after a qualifying crash that left him with a questionable car (and spinning in the uphill to avoid Tony Leone, which dropped him to 6th.)

4. Did I mention the race started dry, all were on slicks, and it poured after 9 laps of the 15 lap race.

5. Great runs from Jeffrey Valeo (4) and Harry Smith (5) - they just finished thier school the day before (in the dry) and handled the changing track conditions like pros. Thanks to Stewart Racing for the rentals - Harry will return with his own car soon and Jeff is thinking hard about doing some more Vee Racing.

6. Tony Leone - The fact that he even finished the race was a miracle. In practice he spun out on the first lap and landed in the Lime Rock Lake (it had been raining a lot this week - in reality, LIme Rock does not have a lake....). While being pulled out, he was flipped by the tow truck and almost drowned as the water in the car went into his helmet while he was upside down. After being released from the medical center, he spent every minute until the race getting his car back together. His spin in the uphill during the race convinced him the car was not right and he settled for 6th. Jokes about the new CIA torture technique - the water helmet - are funny now, but only since we know it came out okay.

7. John Stofka finished 7th, and is getting really good at changing tires - dry, rain, dry - all within about 15 minutes.

8. Tom Pape did not have a great time and pulled out of the race before 1/2 way. (Checked results and he got 10 laps so counts as finish!) Damaged rod end from qualifying incident.

Yes - only 8 cars. No FF or F500 - how did we get so lucky?

Thanks to all the FV people who kept us running, Dan Grace Sr, Steve Pastore, Paul Faford and Dick Stewart all chipped in.

Thanks!

ChrisZ
Last edited by CitationFV21 on June 27th, 2009, 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
jvaleo

Re: Lime Rock Regional 6/20/2009

Post by jvaleo »

I'm definitely going to be back for some more Vee action. I noticed some of the other cars had video cameras mounted. Does anyone know if that footage is on youtube yet?

Thanks for all your help Chris over the course of the weekend.
AJP

Re: Lime Rock Regional 6/20/2009

Post by AJP »

Jeff,
I put some of the qualifying footage up on youtube. I kept it to clips where there were other cars around so you all can see yourselves on the big screen.:)

The race footage isn't up yet. It was so wet and slow that I keep falling asleep while editing......one of these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjzKnl6WxrA

Andy P.
DanRemmers

Re: Lime Rock Regional 6/20/2009 (update 6/27)

Post by DanRemmers »

Boy, that was quite a splash that Tony made when he entered the lake. :shock:
jpetillo

Re: Lime Rock Regional 6/20/2009 (update 6/27)

Post by jpetillo »

Andy,

Nice video - nice driving! That was the clearest video I've seen yet. That little Go-Pro did a great job.

John