Before I do something stupid...

1969zeitler

Before I do something stupid...

Post by 1969zeitler »

I am removing the heat pipe from my 40hp intake and I am using a dremel with a cutting wheel. I start cutting and realize... THIS THING MIGHT BE MAGNESIUM!!!!
Sparks don't go well with magnesium... Just thought I would ask before I did something really stupid! Also... is there a better way to get this thing off? It looks like it was melted onto the intake pipe!
Thanks.
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.
hardingfv32-1

Re: Before I do something stupid...

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

The heat sink is aluminum. The easiest way is to melt it off with a torch. The aluminum will just drip off.

Brian
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try. Roger
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Roger:

Word of caution before you attempt this cutting- wear appropriate clothing and a face shield!

The aluminum can splatter and it is HOT!

Have to ask why you want to do this in the first place unless you are planning to etch and ball your own manifold.
Dietmar
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

Dietmar,

Since the heat tube isn't used I just wanted to remove it. I thought about just cutting the heat tubes off near the aluminum and leave the rest there. Is that the better way to go?
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Roger:

Most organizations that I am aware of REQUIRE that the heat riser tubes and the aluminum be removed.

My questions was really leading to the fact that after spending time doing that, you still have a "stock" manifold and will have to etch and ball it to make it worth the effort.

Dietmar
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Notice how I did not discuss that for fear of sounding like an advertisement!

Call and I can tell you how its done if that is your goal.

Brian
310 455-2747
brian

Post by brian »

That's really funny Brian. We're all here to help and you have as much info on these manifolds as anyone on ther board. Jump in anytime.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
remmers

Post by remmers »

I think he may not be planning on doing the etch and ball because he's building it for vintage, and that wouldn't be true to period.
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

Yes... I am building it for Vintage. I am finding a lot of difference between Vintage/Non Vintage setups. The Monoposto rules don't really spell it out sometimes. It says that you can machine the manifold surfaces and remove the heat riser tubes but does not mention the aluminum at all. One of those "the way you interpret it" rules I guess. I am guessing it is ok to remove it. Roger
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

remmers

Post by remmers »

Have you been to a vintage race before? I'm sure if you go to one you can check out what everyone else has for a setup and that'll be a pretty close approximation to what you need.
brian

Post by brian »

Most of the rules require the heat riser be removed. It's the only aluminum component, so your safe. Many vintage guys run very competitive motors including national level mannies.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.