PM's between members

FV80
Site Admin

PM's between members

Post by FV80 »

FYI ALL,
It has just come to my attention, that I had SEVERAL PM type emails sitting in my inbox here on the forum. I think it important to point out that the ONLY indicator that you have a PM is a relatively obscure little note on logging in (or going to the site if you stay logged in). Would suggest that EVERYONE start trying to remember to check that note when you come to the forum. Even tho Doug Carter mentioned it a couple of weeks ago, I STILL didn't notice that "you have xx messages" waiting for me each time. Only when someone sent me a "real" email and TOLD me that I had PM waiting did I realize I needed to look!

I apologize to all those people who sent me PM's - some of them in response to my direct queries (where I included my email address and was not expecting a PM type response). I have now responded to those that were still apppropriate :oops: .

Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Doug Carter

Re: PM's between members

Post by Doug Carter »

Tip:

User Control Panel -->
Board Preferences (tab) -->
Then click YES for both --> Notify me on new private messages: and Pop up window on new private message:

That way, any new PMs you get will let you know to your registered e-mail address, and give you a little pop-up when you come back to the forums. Helps a bunch.
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Doug:

I have not changed any settings since first signing up for this board, and I stopped receiving PM notices in January - and I notified the Administrators. Just like Stevan, I have to log in several times a day to see if I have received messages. So, since you were so kind as to point out the settings, I went to look and both my "new messages" and "pop up window" have been checked "yes". Yet, I do not receive notice.

So, I went to the EXCHANGE where I DO receive notices ( still from Keith) and checked my settings- low and behold, one is checked yes ( new private messages) and one is checked no(pop up window).

So, maybe it is working for you ( and others) but it is not working for me. Maybe I will try changing my settings similar to the EXCHANGE and see what happens.

Others are having other types of problems. Obviously there is some glitch and it is beyond me to figure it out.

Hope your suggestions help others.
Dietmar
Doug Carter

Post by Doug Carter »

I think some of the shortcomings of phpBB are being exposed, unfortunately. Part of the problem may also be that the forums have been multiple locations with different addresses, and it may not be holding a setting for your account. I don't think it's a browser issue (which would be a local user setting and not a site setting), but it could be.

However, if you have to log in every time you come to the forums here, your browser is not storing the cookies needed to hold the site settings properly. In your browser, try going to the User Preferences or Options, and deleting user cookies that any and all are titled, "formulavee.org," come back to the site, log in again and accept cookies if your browser asks you to. Those little files (cookies) store your username information so that every time you come back, it recognizes you and keeps you logged in. It's easier to delete ALL cookies and start from scratch, but you will have to log in to ALL of your accounts on various sites again.

This might help with the site settings here.
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Doug;

Thanks for the reply, but I doubt it is a cookie issue as they are cleaned out on a regular basis. I have never been able to simply go to the site and be logged in- always have to do it each time I wish to post.

But, that is not the main issue- the issue is that we are NOT being notified of PM's that are sent UNLESS we log in, and then we have a message ( next to User control panel) that there is a message. This is not the case on the Formula First Exchange where I AM notified each time there is a message by a pop up in my e-mail saying that I have a message. Used to be so on both sites, but as of January, this does not happen on the Interchange any more.

Oh well, guess one has to live with what one has ( sometimes).

Thanks again for the response.
Dietmar
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

I have the same settings and the same issue. I must be a lot OLDER than Dietmar, since I haven't the SLIGHTEST idea when it stopped working, but I do agree that the oldest unread PM that I had dated back to mid January of this year....
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

The PM's stopped sending messages to our personal e-mails when the forum software was updated by the previous owner perhaps a year ago or so. It was the same time when the ads stopped working properly and when the avatars stopped working. This is the problem whether you use a Mac or PC or whether you use Explorer, Firefox or Safari. The previous phpBB worked just fine, so it's not a limitation in the forum software. We jsut no longer have an administrator, it seems, that can tend to the issue.