engine and tranny dimentions

brianmetcalf

engine and tranny dimentions

Post by brianmetcalf »

I looked at all the back Tech posts and cannot see where this has been asked. Is there anyone that has dimensional drawings of the engine and transmission as they are configured in a Formula Vee? I have a Vee project in the works and I need some guidance.

Thank you.
G. Brian Metcalf :?:
robert

Re: engine and tranny dimentions

Post by robert »

I'm not sure your actual needs, but this is how I came up with drawings for various components when designing. Having all the pieces on hand is a necessity in my mind . . . . as I seem always to need measurements I did not anticipate.

Grab your camera or VW manual. Photograph or scan what you want. Many manuals have drawings of the motor and tranny in side views, but if you want an overhead view you'll probably have create your own.

Import the results into any basic CAD program (some are free) and size or "zoom" until you get a known dimension to match the scale of your CAD document. Then it is easy to do a simple line drawing over the photo or scanned image.

You can include a 12" stick as a reference when photographing a driver profile. Use a simple support to seat the driver at the desired angle, have him grab a steering wheel and position his legs and feet as wanted. Be sure to wear a helmet, because you need to allow for the clearances in the rules.

This process is satisfactory for the way I work, but it won't locate exact positions of things like motor mounts. Not much problem to position the motor (or any component) within the frame as it takes shape, and then build mounts.

[ external image ] [ external image ]
brianmetcalf

Re: engine and tranny dimentions

Post by brianmetcalf »

Thanks Robert I have Autocad 14 and I did what you suggested.