Draining Fuel Tank

Doug Carter

Draining Fuel Tank

Post by Doug Carter »

Ok, so I just spent the last 4 hours of my life doing something that I thought would/could/should take less than a half hour to so. I am trying to drain the existing fuel from the cell of the car for the winter months that it will sit stagnant. I tried everything I could think of, and nothing worked to drain the fuel cell. What is the preferred method of draining the tank dry for the winter? Is there something simple I am overlooking?

:x

doug
fv22

Re: Draining Fuel Tank

Post by fv22 »

If it's going to be more than a month before my next race I drain it. I just take the cell out of car, put a large funnel into a fuel can and turn cell upside down into funnel, drains in about a minute, shake cell to get "every drop". Entire process is about 15 minutes.
Bob
Doug Carter

Post by Doug Carter »

Occam's Razor, entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem, is the principle that "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity" and the conclusion, thereof, that the simplest explanation or strategy tends to be the best one.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. :roll: I guess it's my nature to make things unnecessarily difficult. lol

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow when I'm in a better mood.
cendiv37

Post by cendiv37 »

Doug,

When I need to drain my cell, I use a 12V electric fuel pump that I hook up to the fuel pick-up line and pump it into a "gas can". Just plug it into the old jumper battery and it pumps out in a few minutes.

However, if you know it's avgas in the cell you can just leave it in there for the winter unless you want to remove the cell for some reason. Also, I generally don't like to remove a full cell (heavy awkward, etc.) so I will pump it down to a gallon or so before removing it even if I'm not draining it for some specific reason.
Last edited by cendiv37 on November 25th, 2009, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce
cendiv37
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

I jack my car up at least 6" higher than normal when I get it home and put it on a dolly so I can roll it around. So now it's high enough for a siphon. To empty the tank, I remove the fuel line between the fuel pump and the cell, and then add a short piece of hose to it and start a siphon into an empty gallon-sized water jug. It will stop on its own before overflowing the gallon jug if you have them at the right heights - easy to do.

I like the electric motor idea, but have been too cheap and lazy to get one - don't need to empty the cell too often.

John
Hal

Post by Hal »

I used to struggle to with that projed too, but what I came up with is to disconnect the incoming fuel line from the pump and maybe tape a piece of tubing on it to get it into a can. I have made up a handy tool that consists of a CD with light foam on one side with the center hole cut out. I put that over the filler in the cell and push down tight then stick in a blower nozzle from my air tank in the hole and give it a little shot of air once in a while. It lightly pressurizes the cell and pushes out all the gas, when it is spitting air your done. Works for me.

Hal
FV 88
brian

Post by brian »

Generally a cell will empty itself if the flow is started. Rather than suck on the fuel line and maybe get a mouthful,, I apply a bit of pressure on the vent line and it will start to flow. Let gravity do it's job. If you have fuel left in the cell, confirm that the pickup is at it's lowest point.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

Agreed, or if you can block the vent with your thumb, perhaps, and press on the fuel cell to get it started. I never went for using my mouth.
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

After I empty my cell, I also keep the top off. The vapors are what actually hurts the foam inside. I made a little screen that I tape over the opening to prevent a delinquent teenage bug from going in for a sniff.
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
Doug Carter

Post by Doug Carter »

cendiv37 wrote:Doug,

When I need to drain my cell, I use a 12V electric fuel pump that I hook up to the fuel pick-up line and pump it into a "gas can". Just plug it into the old jumper battery and it pumps out in a few minutes.
This was a perfect suggestion and worked flawlessly. I picked up a cheap, generic 12v electric fuel pump from the local NAPA, and along with the proper NPT barb fittings, and some 5/16" rubber fuel tubing, I hooked up a couple of 3' pigtail wires with alligator clips to the battery on the chassis lift and pumped the cell dry in a few minutes. An excellent solution, and didn't involve any pressurizing of the flexible fuel cell.

Thanks Bruce!
cendiv37

Post by cendiv37 »

As they say, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while :roll:
Bruce
cendiv37