Blue Coil

Dietmar
Site Admin

Blue Coil

Post by Dietmar »

Rumor (word from my supplier) is that Bosch is no longer making the Blue coil.
When checking around, most are out of stock and those that still have some , the price has reached 100 and even 200 dollars.I did find a Chinese version ( $39) , but , as always, I stay away from Chinese whenever possible.
Just thought I would pass that info on.

Dietmar
BLS

Re: Blue Coil

Post by BLS »

Well heck, I thought I might have exited without posting a few days back :)

Good to know Dietmar. What is the non-bosch, non chinese alternative for those in need? The GCR basically makes it free.

Well, no. Probably the same thing that just happened as I got a notice my IP address was "blacklisted". Same thing probably happened and I didn't notice before. Us blackhearted folks with VPN address's have to be careful :)
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Barry:

Right now the only alternative that I would suggest would be the Beru coil. Also German ( or was the last time I had one) at half the price of the Bosch.

Dietmar
BLS

Post by BLS »

Thanks Dietmar. I searched and the picture I found indicates it is still made in Germany. One place says 3.0 ohms primary resistance and another 3.5.
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

As always, good information Dietmar.

I started looking around and in a search and came across this page on "Bosch Blue Coils" that might be helpful. It appears to be a bit dated dated. It also talks about the resistance of different coils that BLS mentioned. I was hoping it would have had more on alternatives.

John
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Even though I DO have 'bosch blue' in both my cars, IMHO coils are not really very important beyond the fact that they WORK.. and if you are using a 'standard' point set or a 'regular' Pertronix or equivalent ignition, that you be sure you have a coil with 'adequate' internal resistance .. i.e. 'around' 3 or 4 ohms. If you buy one of the new 'trick' millions of volts of 'power' coils, they generally have something around 1 or less ohms internal resistance and that requires one of the much more expensive ignition modules intended to use low impedance coils.
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

Steve, thanks for the words of wisdom.

Best regards,
John
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Buyer beware:

I am seeing a lot of BLUE COILS on E-bay. When you look closer and read the details or their actual listings, they are not blue but rather a black coil even though the BLUE is pictured.($39.95)

Dietmar