SIC

Post by fv31 »

1. Sandy Thalheimer
2. Russ Stalvey
3. John Fuchs
4. Scott Ross
5. Fred Clark
6. Shannon Jones

I'm pretty sure this is correct.....but don't hold me to it. did it from memory...and said memory is from what someone told me. don't be too hard on me if i'm wrong.

bill
fv31
lee

Re: SIC

Post by lee »

From http://www.mylaps.com, it was Shannon and then Fred followed by Harry Schneider. What happened with you Bill?

Anyone have recap of the race? It looks like Sandy, Russ and John had a heck of a finish based on the times.

Lee
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Sandy and Russ established the 'status quo' from the start. John and Scott were fighting to hang with them .. and fighting with each other. Eventually, John prevailed over Scott and moved "into" the lead pack. He seemed to have trouble drafting by - he could get along side, but not complete the pass on the front straight. (The same seemed to be true of Jones vs Clark). The finish was quite spectacular with Sandy leading out of T9 onto the front straight. He 'made the move' to the inside to force Stalvey to the outside and that's the way they finished. Thalheimer, Stalvey, Fuchs - all in less than 2 car lengths at the line. Ross was alone in 4th - Shannon had managed to pull away from Clark a bit and finished a couple of car lengths ahead of him at the line.

Bill had 'trouble' (I'll let him report what it was ... if he chooses to <g>) and ran at the back after spending a couple of laps parked at the T1 corner station.

It was a pretty good race. And NO ONE had any car damage :P .
Steve
(I was driving the pace car, so had a decent seat for the front straight and the finish).
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
fv31

Post by fv31 »

from stevan's reply, it seems word of my maladies made it back to him.

after working most of the bugs out that we had at barber, i wasn't running up front, but i could see it from where i was at. we went through the check list saturday night to prep the car and it seems i had a real nimrod who did the valve clearances. he was a real gomer. i rolled off at race time with a set of stickers on the car, determined to tuck into the draft and make a decent showing. i managed to make it off pit road, and the first time i jinked right to start heating up the tires, the thing died. tried to restart but it wouldn't. i had just enough juice to coast into the T1 corner station.

got out and the corner guys offered me drinks and such (they're always great) and i thanked them and declined and asked them to call for a flat tow. i went over to just look at the car...see if maybe something major had happened that i didn't pick up on. i knew it was ignition related...so i shook the plug wire thru a hole in the cowl. at this point, i heard the distributor cap rattle.....and remembered saying the night before....when that idiot was setting my clearances (said idiot is also the wheel man on #31 fv)...........I NEED TO SNAP THE DISTRIBUTOR CAP DOWN.......at which point i really had to visit the facilities. i went and returned, and promptly went to working on something else on the checklist. duh.

i was able to work my arms up in the cowl out on the corner station, get the cap to seat, and snap it down. i told the corner guys "cancel the flat tow...i can drive it back to the pits". to which they replied "if it runs, why the hell are you gonna watch from a corner station?????" one of the corner workers helped me get back in, and then they pointed me out. albeit, many laps down. i did need that 4th finish for my national license renewal tho.

i went out and circulated getting enough laps for a finish. i dodged a huge scuffle in the FF lead pack when they all went spinning about in front of me and i stuck the car thru a hole. i knew i was way down and just wanted to stay out of everyone's way. i looked in my mirror and saw the lead pack of vees closing on me coming out of skid pad. i didn't want to screw up their race, but i did want the finish.......so i tucked it into the line on driver's right, and pointed 'em all by as i cut into the pits. i rolled down pit road, never stopped, and came out behind the pack on the front stretch. went around and took the checkered.

another finish for team doofus. we'll get 'em next year.

bill
fv31
(team manager, owner, driver, and chief doofus, accompanied by josh, who is actually quite competent. everything he worked on actually functioned.)