The Fuel Problem

problemchild

The Fuel Problem

Post by problemchild »

I have a good understanding of the various fuel issues but have yet to hear a solution that would "fix" the problems for the various classes. I was talking to one of the circle-track guys at work who was moaning and groaning about the $1900 worth of fuel he had just bought for his Modified. He told me of the fuel policy at a big go-cart race he once raced in.

Each racer would fill his cart with fuel. Then they all lined up ..... and moved through the fuel pumping station. Each tank would get sucked out into a big reservoir and then refilled from the same reservoir. Competitors were "encouraged to put in some good stuff so they all could go fast!"

This idea seemed interesting. I am not suggesting that we adopt it but thought that it was a very creative solution to their situation. Perhaps some variation of it could be used to provide our affordable "spec fuel" for SCCA events.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
Martinracing98

Re: The Fuel Problem

Post by Martinracing98 »

problemchild wrote:
Each racer would fill his cart with fuel. Then they all lined up ..... and moved through the fuel pumping station. Each tank would get sucked out into a big reservoir and then refilled from the same reservoir. Competitors were "encouraged to put in some good stuff so they all could go fast!"
The "pump around" method was common with alcohal classes.

I remember in a gas class on time using sanctioning body supplied gas and one of three approved two stroke oils and still failing fuel tech. It turns out one of the oils failed the new dielectric test they were doing that year. That became a real mess.